History

The Ostrobothnian Chamber Orchestra has its roots in the student orchestra founded by conductor Juha Kangas at the Central Ostrobothnian Music Institute in 1972. Out of this grew, and took root, the idea of a more permanent, professionally-led and organised orchestra. The dream of a professional orchestra of Ostrobothnia’s very own finally came true in 1989. Since then, the Ostrobothnian Chamber Orchestra has been on numerous tours to European countries, Japan and the United States.

In the early years of the millennium, a new generation of conductors emerged alongside Honorary Conductor Juha Kangas and gradually succeeded him: Sakari Oramo, Tuomas Hannikainen and Johannes Gustavsson. The Orchestra’s illustrious four-decade past was continued in fitting manner when Sakari Oramo took over as Artistic Director in autumn 2013

 

Repertoire


The Orchestra’s repertoire covers every period in the history of Western music, from the Baroque to the present day. The OCO has done sterling work in championing contemporary Finnish repertoire. Its composer-in-residence for many years was Pehr Henrik Nordgren (1944–2008), but numerous other Finnish composers have also written for and dedicated works to it. The OCO has had close ties with contemporary composers in the Nordic and Baltic countries. The number of premieres, many of them of OCO commissions, runs to around 150. The Orchestra regularly appears with top international soloists and has released over sixty discs in addition to giving regular concerts.